Audacity 1.3.11 BetaDate added: January, 19th 2010 - Open Source
Windows 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista / Windows 7 / XP64 / Vista64 / Windows 7 64
User Rating:Click to vote
Author / Product:
Audacity is a free, open source audio recorder and editor for Windows, which can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from cassette tapes, vinyl records, or minidiscs. With some sound cards, it can also capture streaming audio. Its list of features is so long that many professional users have adopted it and used it in countless audio projects. For years after this app was unveiled to the public in May of 2000, Audacity represented one of the most popular pieces of software that was downloaded from online open-source software depository SourceForge. As of today in early 2014, conservative measures have shown that Audacity has been downloaded more than 100 million times from users that live on all four corners of the world.
No matter what you want to do with audio recordings, Audacity has tools to help you – recording live audio, cutting and trimming, managing all aspects of audio podcast production, adding of countless post-processing effects, normalization, fading, multi-track mixing, noise removal, audio spectrum analysis, conversion and much more. All these tools and services are packed inside very nicely designed dashboard interface that will serve as a perfect introduction to novices into the world of music, editing and audio production. Professionals on the other hand will feel just like at home, with well-organized layout of elements and easy access to all program features.
Not much more can be said about Audacity, except that is one of the best audio editing and recording software solutions on the market that is 100% free and constantly evolving and advancing. It comes with many useful features, some of which are:
- Records and plays audio files
- Supports various file formats like WAV, AIFF, AU, and Ogg Vorbis
- Import MPEG audio (including MP2 and MP3 files)
- Edit your audio files by cutting, copying, pasting, and mixing them
- Large files can be edited fairly quickly
- Add different effects like echo, phaser, wahwah, reverse, and more
- Change the pitch without altering the tempo, or vice-versa.
- Record and edit 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit (floating point) samples.
- Various plug-ins support
- Can be used to convert old tapes into digital media
- And many more