What's new in this version:
Cakewalk by BandLab 2021.08
Improved VST3 support:
- Support for VST3’s new MIDI CC learn functionality. This is used by any VST3 plug-ins that utilize MIDI learn from CCs.
- VST audio buses (inputs/outputs) are now disabled by default and enabled on demand based on which tracks utilize the buses. With instruments that have many outputs this can save memory and CPU.
- Added support for IPlugInterfaceSupport and IProcessContextRequirements and IComponentHandlerBusActivation
- Improved input/output port naming for hardware and software ports:
- In Cakewalk all ports are grouped into stereo pairs of channels. In order to make it easier to associate these pairs with the physical channels exposed by the hardware or virtual instrument, the port naming conventions have been improved.
- Audio and soft synth input and output ports now include a channel number prefix before the port name.
- Additionally, port names now always show the actual names of the referenced channels. (previously only the first channel name would be shown). Since many instruments have different names for channels or even dynamic names, the channel index can be used to identify a specific instrument output more easily.
- When using user defined device names (Use friendly names to represent audio drivers) you can now specify both the left and right channels in the stereo pair by using the pipe symbol “|” to delimit the channel names. For example, entering a friendly name of “Guitar|Voice” may show 1: Guitar, 2: Voice, 1+2: Guitar + Voice in the menus.
- Port names have been shortened to skip the device vendor name for greater legibility in the Track view, Console view and Inspector. The tooltip for the name will show the full form of the name.
- Port names are no longer compacted. With the smarter port naming, in most cases there should be no need to use friendly names to shorten the strings, unless you wish to use instrument names for the ports.
- Edit Filter values and MIDI channels are no longer compacted, which makes it easier to read parameter names in most cases
- In the Console view Hardware Outs section, hardware out names now show channel indexes as well as channel names in ASIO mode
- Sends now show shortened port names and use port numbering when applicable
Create new arrangement based on existing arrangement:
- You can now quickly create a new arrangement by selecting sections in an existing arrangement. To do so, select the desired sections in the Arranger Inspector’s Arrangements pane, then right-click in the Arrangements pane and select New Arrangement From Selection.
Insert committed arrangement at the Now Time:
- You can now insert a committed arrangement into the existing project at the Now Time. To do so, right-click the Commit Arrangement to Project button image.png in the Arranger Inspector and select Insert Committed Arrangement
- Sections for the inserted arrangement are added to new Arranger track. Any other existing Arranger tracks, sections and arrangements remain unaffected
- Any existing events after the Now Time will be shifted over to make room for the inserted arrangement
- As with the Commit Arrangement to Project command, holding down the SHIFT key while selecting the command will cause the events under the arrangement sections to be copied as linked clips.
Optional grid lines in the Tempo track:
- To show grid lines in the Tempo track, right-click in the Tempo track and select Show Grid Lines
Specify shape smoothing behavior when using the Freehand tool on automation envelopes:
- You can specify how shape smoothing works when using the Freehand tool on envelope shapes. To do so, click the Track view Options menu, point to Freehand Smoothing, then select one of the following options:
- Smooth. Uses the existing fit-to-curve functionality. This is the default setting.
- As Drawn (Linear). Joins the nodes up with linear shapes.
- As Drawn (Jumps). Leaves the nodes as is, making them jump shapes.
- Replace synth on a single Instrument track:
- When inserting a multi-output soft synth with the Instrument Track Per Output option enabled, Cakewalk creates multiple Instrument tracks that share a single instance of the soft synth.
- You can now replace the soft synth on an individual Instrument track without affecting other Instrument tracks that share the same soft synth instance. To do so, right-click the Instrument track strip and select Replace Synth for This Track Only.
- Note Names in the Piano Roll view persist per track
- When assigning a custom Note Name setting in the Piano Roll view (right-click the piano keyboard or note label pane), the setting now persists on a per track basis. Closing and re-opening the Piano Roll view remembers the last setting used for each track. The settings are with the project.
Articulation Map Editor: optional time offset and duration override for ‘New Note’ transforms:
- In the Articulation Map Editor, you can now offset the start time and override the duration of New Note output events in the Transform Existing MIDI Events section.
- Time Offset (T). A positive time delay in MBT that will be applied to the new note.
- Duration Override (D). A replacement duration for the new note. If left at 0:00:000, the new note will inherit the duration of the original note.
- Reorder multiple tracks simultaneously:
- You can reorder multiple tracks simultaneously by dragging in the Track pane. To do so, select the tracks that you want to reorder, then hold down the SHIFT key while you drag any selected track.
- You can’t move the selection on or before tracks within the selection (i.e. in effect trying to move it onto itself)
- You can’t move a selection containing track folders into a track folder (nested folders are currently not supported)
- If a track folder is selected (whether or not all the tracks within the folder are selected or not), the whole track folder is moved, unless you are moving selected tracks from within a single track folder out of the track folder.
- ‘Duplicate Selected Clip(s) as Linked Clips’ command
- To duplicate the selected clip(s) as linked clips, press CTRL+SHIFT+D.
- ALT+mouse wheel now zooms in the Piano Roll view Drum Grid pane
- Improved font rendering in new menus
- Insert Tempo Change dialog defaults to ‘Change the Most Recent Tempo’
- The Insert Tempo Change dialog box defaults to Change the Most Recent Tempo, unless clicking the Insert Tempo Change button image.png in the Tempo Inspector, in which case it defaults to Insert a New Tempo.
- Improved app startup time when using WASAPI driver mode
- With some multichannel audio devices, app startup could be very slow in earlier versions while Cakewalk tried to evaluate the number of output channels. This information is now cached to allow the app to start up quickly.
- Cakewalk crashes if AWS is down
- Crash in CCmdAddTempoTrackTempo after wiping tracks
- ASIO Input and output port names and indexes are incorrect if preceding audio devices deselected in preferences
- Adding Time Signature change from Meter/Key view causes Now Time to jump unexpectedly
- When no markers are selected, clicking empty space in the Markers view shows Lock unexpectedly
- Unexpected behavior in localized Kind of Event dialog (Event List)
- Clip Fade Attenuation not drawing as expected
- Tempo track does not respond to commas for decimals
- Delete Hole not working with Tempo track
- Undo of Cut/Delete loses Tempo track selection
- "No change" tempo entries being removed
- REGRESSION: Nudging MIDI notes with absolute time not respecting tempo changes
- Extract tempo using Melodyne, AudioSnap & Fit To Improvisation should not use "smooth shapes"
- Commit Arrangement losing tempo entries
- Incorrect Arranger section numbering when inserting sections in the Inspector
- Buses are selected unexpectedly after moving Arranger section
- Articulation Maps:
- Reassigning an articulation using the Choose dialog not working
- Track templates ignore phase settings
- MIDI input ports not assigned correctly after saving as track template
- Undo of delete instrument track not working with drum maps in project
- Drag Moving a MIDI clip crops it
- Strips menu in Console view hides Instrument tracks unexpectedly with MIDI tracks
- Process > Slide produces unexpected results with envelopes
- Exclusive Solo does not initially work as expected after export
Cakewalk by BandLab 2021.01
Features & Enhancements:
- Arranger section inclusion of outlying MIDI notes. When dragging sections or committing arrangements, Cakewalk has logic for dealing with leading/trailing MIDI notes that overlap section boundaries
- Absolute time in Arranger tracks. The time base format for each Arranger track can be set to either Musical or Absolute. The time base format determines what happens to sections when you change the project tempo
- Cakewalk supports SSO (Single Sign-On) for activation, which allows you to log in via any service supported by BandLab as your sign-in authority. Google, Facebook, Apple ID, mobile phone and BandLab user/password credentials are currently supported
- Cancel VST scan. You can now cancel an in-progress VST scan with the new 'Cancel Scan' button in Edit > Preferences > File - VST Settings or via the Cancel option in the VST Scan toast notification
- Auto termination of VST scan. Shutting down Cakewalk will now automatically terminate any scan in progress
- The new 'Zoom to Fit Project Horizontally' shortcut (CTRL+ALT+F) zooms to fit the entire project in the Clips pane, without affecting the height of tracks
- Improved selection with Arranger sections. If there are gaps between a range of selected sections, the unselected clips remain unselected. You can now also unselect fully selected clips from a selection and they will not be moved with the section
- Cutting an Arranger section with Ripple Edit enabled now deletes the hole to make it consistent with the Delete command
- Clicking on an articulation (without modifiers), or changing an articulation's type or MIDI channel now sends any triggered MIDI events associated with the articulation
- Four new buttons have been added to the Control Bar's Select module in Large mode: 'Select Track Envelopes with Clips', 'Select Track Articulations with Clips', 'Select Events with Sections', and 'Select Sections with Time Ruler'
- Moving clips between Takes lanes on the same track now respects the Auto Crossfade setting
- Insert Instrument track behavior. When selected from the track context menu, the Insert Instrument command now inserts the instrument before the current track rather than after the last track
- Phase and Interleave buttons are now available in the Track view and Inspector for Instrument tracks
- Option to only use external MIDI inputs. MIDI tracks now have a new 'All External Inputs' input option, which only appears when at least one soft synth with a MIDI output is present in the project. All External Inputs means any MIDI input that isn't an output from a soft synth, such as hardware MIDI ports and virtual controllers
- Export to Standard MIDI File now respects the selection. If there is no selection, the whole project is exported
- The integrated LAME MP3 encoder has been updated to version 3.100. This includes bug fixes and stability improvements to MP3 encoding and also speeds up the encoding process. Additionally, Cakewalk has been updated to now handle discarding padding samples when importing MP3 files. i.e imported MP files will not contain extra data at the beginning of the file
- The libsndfile library used for import and export of various audio formats has been updated to version 1.0.30. This fixes numerous issues with handling BWF, Wave64, AIFF, FLAC and Ogg files
- Dynamic plug-in parameter optimizations and improvements in responsiveness and memory footprint when loading and editing projects with lots of tracks and high parameter count plug-ins
- Improved handling of ProChannel automation. ProChannel bypass automation is now UI independent and also buffer accurate. ProChannel bypass will also properly enable/disable with automation during fast bounce and freeze operations
- Crash when running onboarding more than once
- Crash when attempting to load new sample in Drum Replacer
- Hang on project load while VST scan is running
- Redo of crop then move of Articulation crashes
- Automation crash on project close
- Rare crash after modifying event in Piano Roll then pressing play
- Step Sequencer Clips intermittently fail to show notes
- Step Sequencer Beat Counter fails to repeat on Groove clip repetitions
- PRV does not display repetitions of Step Sequencer loops
- Track names show incorrectly in plug-ins after 2020.11 update
- Transport fails to roll with Realtime Bounce when freezing
- Cursor moves unexpected after cancel of Kind in Event List
- After deleting last event in Event List, selection should go to previous event
- Assignable parameters not created for FX Chains on project load
- Project Editing Time displays inconsistently in File Stats
- Rename clip doesn't work on MIDI clips if articulations exist on the track
- Installer Text/Progress Bar for Silent Install is truncated
- Bus pane not updating correctly after using track manager to hide/show buses
- Clicking on a note within the Piano Roll view or swapping active tracks automatically opens the Articulation Map pane
- Ripple Edit Cut not shifting Arranger sections as expected
- Section/Arrangement titles missing in 2020.11
- Allow drag move/copy of multiple articulations
- Mouse cursor gets moved/stuck on articulation events in Event List
- Scaling PitchWheel events gives incorrect results
- Cannot bounce or freeze ProChannel Enable automation unless it is done in realtime
- Selection becomes stuck unexpectedly when selecting envelopes
- Bus envelopes from multiple buses not copied correctly in duplicate clips/arranger operations
- Toggling track interleave causes plug-in automation to lose sync
- ProChannel automation cannot be reassigned to plug-in automation in tracks
- Automation read/write not being acknowledged for newly created FX parameters
- Copying and pasting FX automation envelopes create orphaned envelopes until parameters pre-created
- FX Chain Input/Output Gain envelopes controlling incorrect parameter in FX Chain UI
- Synth Rack automation not shown when changing synth parameters
- Allow adding of additional per-output instrument tracks via Synth Rack context menu
- Add Track inconsistent Insert Track behavior
- Projects with multiple instances of plug-ins with high parameter counts become very sluggish trying to close/remove instances
- UseGlobalSnapForStaffView variable stops working after opening older project
- Imported .wav file has clicks from time stretch
- Drum Maps are saved unexpectedly with Track Templates
- VST Scan does not close with the app
- Control Surface Refresh value does not change as expected below 25ms
- Custom bank selection does not take effect in Event List view
- Insert/Append Instrument fails to place track in folder
Cakewalk by BandLab 2020.11
Features & Enhancements:
- Articulation Maps. Articulation maps are a universal way to deal with expressions/key switches/articulations in VST instruments or hardware MIDI instruments
- In-app activation. You can now activate Cakewalk directly from within the app, without requiring BandLab Assistant
- ARA/Melodyne algorithm picker (pre-release). When converting audio to MIDI by dragging an audio clip to a MIDI track, or performing tempo extraction by dragging an audio clip to the time ruler, you can now select the desired algorithm. Please note: The algorithm picker is a pre-release feature and will only be visible if you are running Melodyne 5 and higher
- VST instruments can use custom instrument definitions. You can now use any instrument definition with a VSTi from a new drop-down menu in the Patch Browser dialog box (click 'Patch Browser' in the Inspector)
- Piano Roll view Note drawing now automatically switches direction as necessary during the gesture (left to right or right to left)
- Open Piano Roll view when double-clicking white space on a MIDI or Instrument track
- Updated to VST3 SDK 3.7.0
- Support MIDI CCs via VST3 MIDI output (allows generative MIDI out VST3 plug-ins such as the Reason Rack plug-in to send MIDI CCs to Cakewalk)
- Support channel aftertouch sent from VST3 plug-ins
- Application memory footprint has been reduced (dynamic VST Plug-in Buffer sizes)
- Cakewalk now supports ASIO devices with a single mono input, such as the iRig Pro
- Relative resizing of selected tracks. SHIFT+drag resizes all selected tracks to the same size. CTRL+drag resizes all selected tracks by the same amount relative to their current size
- Cakewalk supports the latest ARA SDK from Celemony
- Adjust split point on a single Take lane. To move only the split point on a single lane, hold down the ALT key when using the Move Split Point tool
- CTRL-click 'Duplicate Track' button to specify settings
- Allow track FX bin to be bypassed via control surfaces rather than just individual FX
- When installing an update from within Cakewalk, you can now choose to automatically relaunch Cakewalk after the installation completes
- The 'New Project File' dialog box (File > New) now lets you specify folder paths, tempo, meter, bit depth, and sample rate settings for the '-- No Tracks or Buses --' option (previously named '-- Blank Project --')
- File Stats improvements. When starting a new project from a project template, the File Stats window in the Notes Browser now start the Editing Time and Revision counters at 0. To reset the file stats, right-click in the File Stats window and select 'Reset File Stats'
- Early Access Notifications. Cakewalk now presents a toast notification when an Early Access build is available. Early Access builds are completely optional, providing access to the next version of Cakewalk before its official release
- Major optimizations to clips view drawing to eliminate redundant drawing of clips
- Projects with tracks containing many Take lanes with muted clips now draw and scroll more than 20x faster
- Scrolling with Display Muted Takes In Parent Track enabled now has almost similar performance to having that option disabled
- Waveform drawing is now optimized for faster drawing
- Drawing and mouse handling in the Bus pane has been optimized to prevent audio glitches and late buffers
- Crash on insert of Track Template
- Crash on Delete Hole of project
- Crash closing project after loading track template containing VST3 synth
- Crash when loading project with Melodyne via Play List
- Crash when deleting Vienna Synchron
- User reported crash when looping audio clip
- User Reported Crash with the Play List
- Random crashes with dead pointers when step recording
- Crash when displaying dropout toast message
- Intermittent crashes in Arranger Track
- nullptr crash in Staff view
- Adding ProChannel Track Compressor on surround bus crashes
- CTRL-click 'Duplicate Track' button should bring up 'Duplicate Track(s)' dialog
- Hidden Clips can be edited in Track view
- Mute Tool operates on hidden clips in Track
- Select Tool selecting invisible muted clips when 'Display Muted Clips In Parent Track' is unchecked
- Scrolling view left while dragging note causes PRV to fail to Snap By
- 'Center on Now Time with Keyboard Zoom' only works if Mouse Zoom is set to 'Now Time'
- Sluggish Scrolling in project
- Enable/Disable Read Automation shortcut not working
- Replace Synth can fail to rename track
- Unexpected changes to track input when using MIDI transformation synths
- Hiding icons in Synth Rack causes alignment error
- Enabling MIDI Out on some synths causes all synths to appear in MIDI Input picker
- Track view would steal focus back after clicking on an Arranger section
- Disallow Step Record during playback
- Add performance warning when disabling 'Only for Inputs in Project' option in Preferences > Project - Record
- Section Rename can unexpectedly run into Browser
- F2 Rename on Section Headers does not always work
- Section Rename could occasionally hang the application
- Section menus would occasionally not dismiss resulting in multiple menus being displayed
- Setting now time in arranger during playback doesn't respect the 'Set Time During Playback' click behavior
- Clicking away from Rename of section causes Windows 'ping'
- Arranger not automatically fixing overlapping sections in some circumstances
- ALT+mouse wheel zoom unavailable in Arranger track
- Arranger picker fails to open after clicking away from menu
- Arranger menu commands could sometimes fail to execute
- Arranger section move should include data during playback
- Arranger section move is now blocked during record
- Arranger labels now support Unicode characters
- Moving mouse over Bus pane causes audio glitches and late buffers
- ARA projects redundantly saving document controller state for deleted items in undo history
- Projects created using Cyrillic characters in the audio file names, fail to load on a system using a different language pack
- Cannot enter the 'ö' character using a non-English keyboard layout in Lyrics view
- Ripple Paste not always working after cut
- Clip fails to split during existing fade if 'Auto Crossfades' is enabled
- Slow Cakewalk startup time when using MackieControl.dll
- Export Audio doesn't work when exporting from a surround bus
- More Bug Fixes
- Improve handling for 'Blank Project' in File > New
- Step Record can glitch with instruments that have long tails when Auto Advance is enabled
- 'Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record' causes wave file creation when adding certain VST3 plug-ins
- Temporary files for 'Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record' can be created in wrong folder
- 'Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record' causes Instrument track audio to fail to record
- Setting multiple tracks to the same input can cause record to fail if 'Allow Arm Changes during Playback/Record' is enabled
- When Automation lanes are visible in the Bus pane, the drop target for reordering gets interfered with causing misplacement
- BandLab Login can appear on incorrect monitor
Cakewalk by BandLab 2020.09
- Automatic Picture Cache management. On startup, Cakewalk now auto detects when the wave picture cache is full and will self delete the oldest files to make room for new files. The Max size of picture cache has been raised to 10000 MB.
- In-app updater. You can now download and install future updates directly from Cakewalk instead of using BandLab Assistant. This is done from the 'Update Available' toast notification, which has a new Download Now link. Updates are downloaded to a Cakewalk subfolder in your local Downloads folder.
- Control surface settings are not being saved when a surface is disabled or the surface UI dialog is closed
- Save As dialog ignores custom typed paths for Project Path and Audio Path
- Arranger-related menus may appear incorrectly with multi-monitor configurations
- Changing Picture Cache to high values would cause waveforms to stop drawing. Picture cache sizes > 2GB now work properly. The max size for PicCacheMB in Aud.ini has been increased to 10000 MB
- Picture cache is now automatically managed and will self delete the oldest files when the size limit is reached
- Mojibake (garbage text) occurs when using Unicode multibyte characters (Japanese, Chinese, etc.) on OS that differs from the selected CbB language
- Cakewalk now uses UTF-8 encoding by default for all text strings, including track name, clips names, Lane descriptions, Arranger sections, Notes Browser, Lyrics view, etc
- Legacy projects not saved with UTF-8 will continue to open correctly in 2020.09 and higher
- Projects saved with multibyte characters from 2020.09 and higher can now be opened on any OS, retaining the original Unicode characters
- Crash starting playback in project when the picture cache is full
- Crash when inserting multiple instrument tracks with no tracks enabled
- Closing a 3rd party plug-in UI can crash the application by sending WM_QUIT message
- Crash when deleting an Arranger section selection twice
- Crash inserting Per-Output Instrument tracks when Auto Track Zoom & Show Synth Properties are enabled
- Insert Soft Synth Options should disable Track Number options for First/All synth output options
- Arranger Section Rename intermittently becomes stuck
- Clip crops unexpectedly on Undo of Apply Region Tempo
- The Synth Rack and plug-in views are not opened when inserting an instrument via the Add Track menu. It will now follow the default as specified in the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog
- Record Arm/Virtual Controller toggle fail to enable when adding Instrument Track per Output from Add Track menu
- Add Track menu does not activate 'Enable MIDI Output for Synths' by default. It will now follow the default as specified in the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog
- Mouse Wheel not scrolling the Control Bar
- Option to decouple global Snap to Grid from the Staff view with UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 Cakewalk.ini setting
- Long patch names fail to display in Event List view. DATA1 and DATA3 column widths have increased, and text truncates to the column width
- Correct Chinese translation for 'Rename Clip'