7-Zip 9.20 (64-bit)Date added: November, 19th 2010 - Open Source
7-Zip 9.20 (64-bit)
Windows XP64 / Vista64 / Windows 7 64
User Rating:Click to vote
Author / Product:
7-Zip is a file archiver that was developed for computers running Microsoft Windows. It uses the 7z file format, which ensures higher level of compression (up to 50% higher than the standard zip format) from every other commercially popular archiving standard, but can easily work with other formats as well. Having 7-Zip installed on your PC means that you will always have the ability to create archived that are more compact, more easier to transport and easier to hold more files at when its file size mirrors competitors.
First version of 7-Zip application and 7z archive format was created by Russian freelancer programmer Igor Pavlov on 18 July 1999, with a goal to popularize 7z as open, modular and easily expandable archive format that can use multiple data compression, encryption and pre-processing algorithms. In its core, 7z supports multiple compressions of files into archive that has several layers of compression created automatically, with complexity of that compression being controlled by the user. One of the most interesting features of this archive format is support if archives that are up to 16 exbibytes large (16+ million gigabytes).
User interface 7-Zip app is very user friendly, with main dashboard that very much resembles to the interface of many other similar archiving solutions. Users have very straightforward way of managing old archives, extracting files, and choosing level of compressions during creation of new 7z archives. 7-Zip is 100% free and can work on all versions of Windows after Windows 95.
The main features of 7-Zip:
- High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
- Supported formats: Packing / unpacking: (7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR) and Unpacking only: (ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, DMG, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MSI, NSIS, RAR, RPM, UDF, WIM, XAR and Z.)
- For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 80 languages
Compression ratio results are very dependent upon the data used for the tests. Usually, 7-Zip compresses to 7z format 30-70% better than to zip format. And 7-Zip compresses to zip format 2-10% better than most of other zip compatible programs.