A free, Open Source alternative to Microsoft Office
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 Date added: August, 23rd 2012 - (Open Source)
What's new in this version:
New translations available in Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 include:
- British English
# Updated translations available in Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 include:
Important bug fixes have been made in these areas:
- "quickstarter" problems
- extension cleanup
- auto update check now re-enabled by default
- "undo" issues in Calc
- "redo" issues in Calc
- "freeze" problem with Calc and Writer when LanguageTool is installed
- non-detection of java. "Oracle" as a java provider was added to aid in JVM identification. Previously, the vendor was Sun.
- Cleanup of temporary areas used by extensions installations. This will reduce the per-user disk footprint for multi-user installations.
- Keeping only one English dictionary for US-en installations instead of 5. This will save user space. Users will be able to add other English dictionaries (Canadian, Australian, New Zealand) as desired
- Hunspell library upgraded to version 1.3.2 from 1.2.9. This version contains several improvements especially for Dutch, German and other Germanic languages with extended compound word usage.
# Microsoft Windows 8 Compatibility
- With this release we have tested with Windows 8. So far it looks good. We are in the process of going through the official Windows 8 Certification checklist and some minor issues still remain.
- Browsers and Plugins
- CD and DVD Tools
- Cleaning and Tweaking
- Compression and Backup
- Desktop Enhancements
- Developer Tools
- File Sharing
- File Transfer and Networking
- Firewalls and Security
- Imaging and Digital Photo
- Messaging and Chat
- MP3 and Audio
- Office and Business Tools
- Video Software