WinSCP 4.3.2Date added: February, 24th 2011 - Open Source
Windows (All Versions)
Editor / User Rating:/
Author / Product:
WinSCP is an open source free SFTP client and FTP client for Windows Systems that enables both novices and professionals to easily control their file transfers to and from distant PCs. Legacy SCP protocol is also supported. Its main function is safe copying of files between a local and a remote computer, which can be done from inside very intuitive and easy to use interface that at first look manages to convey the feeling of competent file manager. However, this standard file management part of the app is augmented by the large array of tools that can manage FTP connections, different modes of use, and management options for streamlined and professional transfer of files.
First version of this open source app was created by Martin Přikryl in 2000, with a goal of becoming the most competent FTP client in the world. Today after more than a decade on the market, WinSCP has incredible support for many professional features such as batch file scripting, command line interface, storing session information, automated or semi-automated directory synchronization and much more. All of this is packed up in an incredibly low performance-intensive app that will take less than 5MB of storage space on your PC.
Copying of files is done via additional window that showcases current and total transfers, with additional tools for managing speed of that transfer and actions that can be performed after transfer is completed (stay idle, disconnect the connection, etc.). This is different from many other similar FTP managers, which have dedicated place on their dashboard that showcase current FTP transfers, enabling users to continue browsing and managing their files.
- Graphical user interface (GUI)
- Translated into several languages
- Integration with Windows (drag&drop, URL, shortcut icons)
- U3 support
- All common operations with files
- Support for SFTP and SCP protocols over SSH-1 and SSH-2 and plain old FTP protocol
- Batch file scripting and command-line interface
- Directory synchronization in several semi or fully automatic ways
- Integrated text editor
- Support for SSH password, keyboard-interactive, public key and Kerberos (GSS) authentication
- Integrates with Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent) for full support of public key authentication with SSH
- Explorer and Commander interfaces
- Optionally stores session information
- Optionally supports portable operation using a configuration file in place of registry entries, suitable for operation from removable media