Wikipedia 1.0.1 LATEST
Windows 10 / Windows 11
User Rating:Click to vote
Author / Product:
Experience Wikipedia like never before on your device with the official desktop app. Ad-free and free of charge, forever. With this software, you can explore 40+ million articles in 300+ languages from anywhere in the world.
What you'll love about this desktop app
It's Free and Open-Source
Wikipedia is a community-edited encyclopedia that anyone can contribute to. The articles are freely licensed and the app code is 100% open-source. Wikipedia's goal is to provide unlimited access to free, reliable, and neutral information.
The app is a place to learn, not to be bombarded with ads. The app is made by the Wikimedia Foundation, a nonprofit organization that operates and supports the online encyclopedia. This app is provided ad-free and never tracks your data.
Read in Your Language
Access 40 million articles in over 300 languages, making Wikipedia the world's largest source of information, all available in your language.
One of the key features of Wikipedia Desktop is its user-generated content. Anyone can contribute to articles and edit information, which is then reviewed by a community of volunteers to ensure accuracy and impartiality. This approach has led to a wealth of information that is updated in real-time, making Wikipedia a go-to source for timely and relevant information on a wide range of topics.
Another strength of Wikipedia is its ability to provide in-depth knowledge on a vast array of subjects, from science and technology to history, arts, and culture. The articles are well-researched and comprehensive, making the webapp a valuable resource for students, researchers, and anyone who wants to learn more about a particular subject.
One potential drawback of Wikipedia is its reliance on user-generated content. While the community of volunteers is diligent in reviewing and correcting articles, there is always the potential for inaccuracies or biases to be introduced. This is why it is important to use Wikipedia as a starting point for research, rather than relying solely on the information it provides.
Additionally, Wikipedia's articles are not peer-reviewed and are not subject to the same level of scrutiny as academic journals. As a result, there is a risk that some articles may contain misinformation or errors. However, the community works hard to correct these inaccuracies and ensure that the information provided is accurate and up-to-date.
Despite these limitations, it remains a valuable resource for information and a testament to the power of community-driven knowledge sharing. With its broad coverage, accessibility, and commitment to accuracy, Wikipedia is an essential tool for anyone who wants to learn and explore the world around them.
How to Use
Using Wikipedia is straightforward and user-friendly. Here are some basic steps to get started:
- Open a web browser and go to the website (www.wikipedia.org) or download and install desktop version from FileHorse.
- Type in the topic you want to learn about in the search bar located at the top of the page
- Select the article that best matches your search query from the results page
- Read through the article to learn about the topic. It articles typically include sections on the history, background information, and notable events or people related to the topic.
- Use the table of contents or headings to navigate the article and skip to specific sections of interest
- If you want to learn more about a specific aspect of the topic, click on the internal links in the article to be taken to related articles
- If you want to learn about a different topic, use the search bar again to start a new search.
It's that simple! With Wikipedia Desktop, you have access to a wealth of knowledge and information on a variety of topics, all for free.
- Boasts an enormous database of information
- Supports multiple languages
- Articles can be conveniently shared with other applications
- Has a user-friendly search function
- The quality of information may vary
- Learning to code for the encyclopedia can be time-consuming
- The information can also be obtained online without the app
- The design of the interface is plain.
To use the app on a desktop computer, the following minimum system requirements are recommended:
- Operating System: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or Windows 11.
- Processor: 1 GHz or higher.
- RAM: 2 GB or higher.
- Hard Drive Space: 200 MB or more of free space.
- Internet Connection: Broadband internet connection with a minimum speed of 512 Kbps.
Please note that these are minimum requirements, and for the best experience, it's recommended to have a modern computer with updated hardware and software. Additionally, it's recommended to use a web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari for the best performance and compatibility with Wikipedia's features and functionalities.
In conclusion, Wikipedia is a remarkable online resource that provides free access to information on a vast range of topics. Its user-generated content and community-driven approach make it a valuable source of information, while its comprehensiveness and real-time updates make it an indispensable tool for anyone who wants to learn and explore. Despite its limitations, Wikipedia remains one of the most important and widely used resources on the internet.