Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / Windows 7 / XP64 / Vista64 / Windows 7 64
User Rating:Click to vote
Author / Product:
eMule is a very popular peer-to-peer client which lets its users to easily connect to the eDonkey2000 network and effortlessly share multimedia files and documents. Thanks to its open source policy many developers are able to contribute to the project, making the network more efficient with each release. The name "eMule" comes from an animal called "Mule" which is somehow similar to a donkey.
First version of eMule appeared on the market in May of 2002, with integrated support to connect to the popular eDoney and Kad network. This app became very popular in the following years because of its ability to smartly manage connections between users, making file transfers faster, files more secure with automated corruption recovery, use of community awards to reward best users, and its use of compressed transfers which enabled users to save on bandwidth. Another very popular feature is abbility to preview audio and video files whose download are not finalized.
eMule’s user interface is relatively simple, with tons of visual cues about your current position and easy way to manage your search and downloads. App offers 7 main categories where users will spend majority of their time – Kad server listing, eDonkey server listings, Transfers, Search (which supports complex Boolean queries), Shared Files, Messages (you can friend people, exchange messages and see their online status), IRC client and Statistics. Bottom of the app is dedicated to list current transfers, and app customization options are easily accessible via buttons in the top left corner of the dashboard.
A list of a few features available:
- Clients use several networks to create one reliable network. (ED2K, Source Exchange, Kad)
- Kad is now in an open testphase, eMule v0.42 can be enabled to use Kad
- eMule's Queue and Credit system helps to ensure that everyone will get the file he wants by promoting those that upload back to the network.
- eMule is completely free. eMule is also completely free of any Adware, Spyware, and ect. All this was made for fun and knowledge, not for money.
- Each file checked for corruptions while downloading to ensure an error free file.
- The eMules Intelligent Corruption Control helps to speed up the correction of corrupted parts.
- Auto priorities and Source management allows you to start many downloads without having to monitor them.
- The Preview function allows you to look at your Videos and Archives before they are completed. For video previewing, it is recommended to use very popular Video Lan Client.
- The eMule features webservices and a webserver that allows you to have quick access to and from the internet.
- You can create categories for your download to organize them.
- To find the file you want, eMule offers a wide range of search possibilities which include: Servers (Local, and Global), web based (Jigle, and Filedonkey), and Kad (Still in Alpha).
- eMule also allows you to use very complex Boolean searches that make the searches much more flexible.
- With the messaging and friend system, you can send messages to other Clients and add them as friends. In your friend list, you can always see if a friend is online.
- With the build in IRC client, you can chat with other downloaders and chatters around the globe.
Note: The application is not developed actively anymore.